Friday, July 17, 2009

RIP, Walter Cronkite

I wasn't even alive when iconic news man Walter Cronkite interrupted "my" soap opera, As The World Turns, to tell the nation that President Kennedy had died. But that grainy, black & white video is the first thing I think of when I hear the name Cronkite. Maybe it's because of my journalism background. A requirement of sorts. He was once named "the most trusted man in America," in a time when we still trusted journalists. The way the profession has changed almost made me completely switch majors. But I held on. I believed that there were still good stories to tell. And that there are still reputable, professional journalists out there. I now work in public relations and it's true. I work with lots of journalists and most of them are salt of the earth, hard-working news hounds. I love working with them, actually. Turns out the hardest part of my job is convincing other people that not all journalists are bad. I doubt PR people ever had to do that in Walter Cronkite's day. RIP, Walter Cronkite. We already miss you.

No comments: