Thursday, October 2, 2008

300 people missing!?!?!?!?!?

Sorry to steal a topic from you, Leslie, but I just read an article on CNN about how there are still 300 people missing after Hurricane Ike! Holy cow! I’m amazed that his is the first time I’ve heard this news!

I guess it’s gotten lost with all the financial crisis and election coverage, but I am seriously shocked that there isn’t more news about this out there! After Katrina, it’s all we heard about for months. And that was a good thing – at least the stories about trying to locate loved ones. I know that in some cases, the media coverage helped find them.

It’s hard to imagine being without technology like television, cable, internet, cell phone for three weeks. Not having a way to contact my family? Heck, I’d have a panic attack if I went 30 minutes without at least one of those items! Sad, but true. And I wouldn’t last an hour without running water and air conditioning. Thank God in Heaven that I’ve never had to endure a natural disaster. Camping is about as close as I ever want to get to those conditions. Let’s face it, I’m a weenie.

My heart goes out to the people who lost homes in the storm and to the people who are still trying to be sure their loved ones are ok. I guess one thing we could do is donate to the American Red Cross
or to the Laura Recovery Center, the organization based in Friendswood, TX mentioned in the CNN article.

But then again, there’s a financial crisis going on and if you’re like me, you’re broke too. Hmm. I need to think of a creative way to help. Manning the media desk at the convention center shelter for a couple hours just wasn’t enough for me. Sigh...

No comments: