Saturday, October 11, 2008

Even an elephant can do it


I’m always amazed when I see examples of how wild animals and humans have acclimated and learned to coexist. But I live in the suburbs, so I usually only see the occasional deer, raccoon or possum scampering across a busy street. I giggle when I go see my friend Linda in Dripping Springs, southwest of Austin, and see the “Loose Livestock” signs. Not sure why that cracks me up.

But in Kenya, “loose” animals have actually caused a lot of trouble.
Apparently some elephants that are near extinction were wandering onto local farmers’ land and destroying their crops, their entire livelihood. Modern technology has come to the rescue! Check out the article here to see how the elephants now send text messages to park rangers when they stray towards private land.

No comments: