Friday, October 31, 2008

"wastes of oxygen"

I know I’m not supposed to pass judgment on people, but when I read this story, I couldn’t help myself. This idiotic woman in South Austin was yelling at her three kids at the bus stop and then THREW HER FOUR YEAR OLD CHILD INTO THE STREET in front of a moving vehicle! Thank God the driver of the suburban was paying attention. I am livid about this incident, but so thankful the child didn’t suffer physical harm. Don’t get me started on the emotional damage this terrible woman has done to her kids. It irks me that this woman is allowed to have children, but I may never get to have kids of my own! Or that so many loving couples cannot have children and then this woman clearly doesn’t appreciate the amazing gift she’s been given to be a mom.

This incident reminded me of something my friend Robin & I witnessed several months ago at a fast food restaurant in South Austin. As we were eating lunch, this young lady walked in with a baby carrier. Her daughter was decked out all in pink and had on cutesy matching shoes and even wore earrings. She seemed like a very pleasant baby, very content. The first thing we noticed was after the lady ordered at the counter, she put the baby carrier down on the floor and walked about 10 ft away to go fill her drink. Meanwhile, lots of people were coming and going, passing by the baby – any one of them could have grabbed her so easily. After she got her food, she set the baby carrier down on the table, set her food down, then grabbed her purse and went into the ladies room. SHE LEFT THE BABY ALONE ON THE TABLE!!! We were in shock! I wanted to call Child Protective Services. Seriously, she took her purse (God forbid someone take that), but left her child, a precious human life who cannot defend herself, at the table all by herself. This incident still makes me mad to this day.

In my opinion, these women are simply “wastes of oxygen,” as my dad would have said. I don’t know why these things still surprise me, but they do. I can’t believe that people can be so blasé about their parental duties. People make mistakes, I get that. But these actions are unforgivable in my book. I know writing this won’t make these people change or make things fair in the world, but at least I got to vent.

Happy freakin’ Halloween.

1 comment:

Robin H said...

Should I comment? ;)