Monday, February 16, 2009

My day with mom

My mom has always had beautiful, thick hair, the bluest blue eyes and great legs. I've always been jealous of those attributes. But I realized today that there are so many more things about my mom that I admire. Like the fact that she has one of the biggest hearts of anyone I've ever met. She was adopted and is still discovering things about her birth parents, but jumped at the chance to start her own family, which probably took some courage. She's also very brave.

Last Friday, we got good news from the oncologist -- he told us that the cancer is only in the breast and has not spread anywhere else. After some tears of joy, she immediately asked when we could start chemo. Imagine, she was excited to start chemo! Her chemo starts this Friday and even though I know she's scared, she's facing this journey with amazing courage that frankly I didn't know she had. I'm so impressed.

Today we visited the American Cancer Society & picked out two wigs. Mom didn't want to wait until her hair starts to fall out. I steeled myself for the moment she started crying, but it never happened. Mom and I actually had a good time trying on wigs and head covers. We laughed a lot and we found two really beautiful wigs that looked amazing on her. We have a long journey ahead, but she seemed so relieved to have that taken care of. I feel honored and blessed to have shared that experience with my mom.

No comments: