Friday, March 20, 2009

cognitive drop-off

For about the last year, I’ve started noticing a pretty sharp decline in my short-term memory. I would crack jokes about it – oh, I’m just getting old, ha ha ha. But when my sister and I went on vacation late last year and she (the normally ditzy, forgetful one) had to repeat things over and over to me, I got worried. I’ve been to a couple of doctors trying to figure this out…so far, nothing. We’ve ruled out a lot of things, which I suppose I should be thankful for.

I just read that a new study says we start to lose cognitive abilities in our late 20s and our 30s. Specifically, this article says, “In addition to the cognitive drop-off, the team also found that average memory declines were detected by about age 37.” I turned 37 last Tuesday. This sucks.

Laugh if you will, but this cannot be as good as my brain gets, can it?!?!!? Come on, I have a lot more in there to contribute! It seems like all of a sudden I went from being young & able to not old, but getting there and declining! How did this happen? Sometimes I feel like I’m missing out on things I should be doing. But the good news is that in a few weeks, I won’t remember what I missed!

No comments: