Monday, September 22, 2008

Listening with my eyes closed...



Most of you reading this know that my dad passed away about a year and a half ago. He was a big John Denver fan – not a day went by in my childhood without hearing a John Denver song. Instead of hating the music, though, I actually LOVE John Denver – and I don’t care what anyone thinks. We even played a John Denver song at my dad’s funeral. It would have been wrong not to play one.

An overwhelming sense of peace washes over me now when I hear a John Denver song and I think of my dad and smile…and sing along! I guess that peace is what dad always felt. I get it now, dad.

So tonight I was searching YouTube and came across a fairly obscure JD song called, “Zachary and Jennifer.” This song always brings me to tears because I very vividly remember the first time I heard it. And because my name is Jennifer and my nephew’s name is Zachary…and it’s just a beautiful song.

My dad was a very spiritual man, but maybe not in the sense that most people think of. He would find deep meaning in music and in words – and he tried to share it with us from time to time. He often would make us sit down, close our eyes and stop talking. Then he would play a song and tell us, “Listen to the words. I mean, really listen to the words and what they’re saying.” Most of the time, especially as kids, we would roll our eyes or snicker. But the time he sat us down to listen to this song, we took it seriously.

It was almost 15 years ago – I had just found out that I was going to be an aunt. We were all so excited! I remember dad sitting us down at the old house on Maye Place. We all just looked at each other and from then on, the baby's name was Zachary. Or at least that’s how I remember it. He’s my only nephew and will be 14 on Wednesday. I know we’ve told Zach about the John Denver song, but I bet he doesn’t remember it. And I’m certain he doesn’t get it yet, but someday he will. He reminds me of my dad in little ways that I can’t quite explain yet.

I would give anything if I could sit and close my eyes and listen to John Denver again with my dad. Maybe I’ll do that now.

1 comment:

Robin H said...

JD is so young and skinny there. I hate to admit, I'd never heard that song before! Thanks!